Friday, December 5, 2008

To be a size six again...

As many of you know, I am SLAVING away trying to get all skinny and cute (what a better time to start than during the holidays when there are NO temptations- yeah right!) So I read this in my Shape magazine and since I am a person that would rather kill myself for a short time than be moderately uncomfortable for a long time, I'm doing this! It's 20 minutes of working out getting the results of working out for an hour! Us busy people with work, school, kids, whatever can appreciate a forty minutes saved- thought I'd share it!

Pick any cardio you like (running, swimming, the elliptical trainer). Warm up for 2 minutes at a moderate pace, then sprint for 30 seconds at the highest intensity you can muster. Slow down and do 90 seconds at a catch-your-breath recovery pace. Repeat eight times. You'll torch more calories in less time, while you burn fat faster. Follow this cardio session with a few of the following fast firmers for a total-body workout in less than 30 minutes.
• Tighten your tummy: Do two sets of 10 to 12 crunches on a stability ball. Research from the University of Auckland, Tamaki Campus, in New Zealand, revealed that using the ball makes crunches 20 percent more effective compared to hitting the floor.
• Firm up legs: Stand on left foot, hands on hips, and bring right knee to hip level in front. Trace a horizontal figure eight in front of you with knee. Then bend left knee and hop to right, landing on right foot. Repeat figure eight with left knee, then hop back to left to complete one rep. Do 10 reps, then hop back and forth 10 times to complete one set.
• Boost your bottom: Stand with feet hip-width apart, hands on waist. Shift weight to left foot and lift heel of right foot so you're resting on toes. Bend left knee and sink hips back, keeping weight off right foot (toes stay on ground). Rise up. Do 12 reps on left leg, then switch legs and repeat.
• Bare amazing arms: Holding a dumbbell in each hand, stand with feet hip-width apart. Raise arms, palms down, out and slightly forward to shoulder height. Slowly lower them behind you so weights almost touch. Do 12 reps.
• Slim all over: Stand with feet hip-width apart. Keeping legs as straight as possible, bend forward and walk hands out until they're under shoulders. Do two push-ups, then walk hands back and stand. Repeat twice, doing four push-ups, then six.

So I'm doing this- I am now accountable so if you see me shoving cookies in my mouth- you have to stop me! If not, you are an accomplise! Happy holiday eating!

2 comments:

Janssen said...

I think of you every time I do crunches on an exercise ball now.

lacie tidwell said...

Thanks Janssen!:)