Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Adventures in parentland...a big crash

Yesterday was blissful and ended with a crash. Ryan had the day off work. We spent the morning eating scrambled eggs and running errands. Hailyn napped in the afternoon. So did Ryan:) We took her to se Winnie the Pooh with her Aunt Ky. She ate half a tub of large popcorn and soda. We went home to make some mahi mahi for dinner. I heard Hailyn and Ryan laughing and playing downstairs.

That's when I heard the worst sounds of my life. Ryan screaming 'Oh gosh oh gosh oh baby! baby!' I bolted downstairs and she was in his arms, a huge goose egg already on her head and her nose bleeding. I grabbed my purse and we were out the door. He handed her to me in the car and I just held her, trying to keep her awake. I pleaded to God, please help my baby please please please. Ryan was fighting tears as he bolted through the streets. I've never seen him drive like that. We were on our way to Sunrise Pediatric ER- I couldn't find the number and I was trying to keep my baby conscious. I still didn't know what happened at this point. I called my mother in law and told her, call Sunrise pediatrics er now so she did. I wanted them to know a two year old was en route and had a head trauma.

I held my baby girl and sang her songs. I am a Child of God. You are My Sunshine. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It kept her conscious. We pull up I hop out get H and I go to the triage. As I'm holding my helpless baby in my arms the nurse asks 'what's wrong?' I cried. I never cry. I broke down. Ryan was parking the car. (I'm pretty sure he broke the car getting there- it was stressful.) A kind woman waiting took the paper and a clipboard and sat down next to me. I tried to be brave for my baby. I silently prayed. She wrote Hailyn's name. Then Ryan came in and held her while my hands were shaking I tried to grasp the pen to fill out the paperwork. I was in zombie mode. The words blurred together through the tears in my eyes. I filled out the paperwork. Then I said let's go! The nurse said she's next, hang in there mama.

I paced back and forth. I couldn't wait. My baby was hurt- broken- FIX HER NOW I screamed inside. Finally they pulled us in to traige and took us right back.

She didn't have a concussion. Her nose was bleeding still so they clamped it. She HATED that. Ryan's mom and dad walked through the doors. I was so relieved to see them. I didn't ask them to come (just to call) but I guess you can't say er and head trauma without the calvary coming in- I was so SO glad they were there! His mom held my hand while Hailyn received a blessing. She kept grabbing the side o her head and saying 'owww!' I asked Ryan what happened. She wiggled out of his arms while playing (she does that!) and bam! Straight on the tile. It was awful. He fought back tears. We both did. Had to be brave for our baby.

The nurses came and were amazing. I held Hailyn on the bed and we watched cartoons. Ryan's mom bought Hailyn a little cat snuggly which she hated (haha!) and we kept the kitty close. She watched Despicable Me on my iphone. I stroked her hair gently marveling at how blessed I am to have this beautiful, amazing little girl. I'm so lucky. Then she started to cough, the cough moms recognize. She was throwing up. I shouted for the nurses across the hall HELP as loud as I could. It was blood (and popcorn sorry to be gross but it's true I'm done with popcorn for a while). Blood all over (mostly me). Over kitty, iphone, bed, Hailyn. She cried after. Nurses were there and got her a bath going and stripped her clothes. They gave me wipes (I was DRENCHED!) a nurse saw me and said let me get you scrubs. I was so grateful. We got cleaned up and changed and waited for a cat scan.

HOURS later (I was ok waiting it meant we werent ULTRA critical) we found out she has a frontal lobitial fracture. No bleeding in brain that we detected on cat scan.

Today we went to the eye doctor (oh ryan is gone this morning until tomorrow night after the craziness- long story but I wish he were here!) My sweet sis in law Jess came with me. Turns out Hailyn needs to go under tomorrow to make sure there is no hemorraging behind eye. Had issues finding the eye drops I need they had to order them and they were like get them at 10 am tomorrow (um her surgery is at 545am!) so doc office figured it out for me. It was a nightmare. Today was rough. Tomorrow is going to be crazy with surgery, no ryan and a neurological appt. I can handle it. I'm insanely lucky to have friends and family helping me.

I'm off to bed. I have to wake Hailyn every four hours. It's tough keeping an ice pack on her. She wont do it. We're out of the door at 430am. No food or drink. I hope I've got this. Off to prepare.

wish me luck...

3 comments:

craftyashley said...

Oh, Lacie! I just cried a river reading that. You let me know if you need anything. Anything!

Unknown said...

I prayed for you guys when i saw it on fb.
so glad shes ok!

Allison said...

We've been out of town and I just read this--I hope she's doing okay!! I wish we were there to help you!! Prayers coming your way.