Monday, March 9, 2009

Montessori Monday...

I know I said I would talk about each section of the classroom and I promise I will. But yesterday I started reminicing about my amazing students from years past.I started teaching nearly five years ago, and my oldest students are now eleven- ELEVEN! I have taught so long and have seen my students grow into extraordinary young people. I was reminded of this when I saw a student recently from two years ago- he was in kindergarten and is now eight years old- and he still remembered me. He still had the same dimpled smile, the same bright eyes. He was always happy, and I still remembered little quirks about him, and how his favorite work was 'the snake game'- subtraction style.

He reminded me (EVEN MORE) of how much I MISS teaching! I started to think about ALL my students from years passed, and honestly, I remembered each one of them, thier unique personalities, and how much joy it has brought me in my life to see them learn and grow- and what amazing young people they are turning into- and how I had a small part in that. I became a little emotional when I realized how my influence affected each of them in some small way. The fact my little eight year old (who is so big now!) remembered me just melted my heart. I then saw a little girl who I got when she was two and a half. She too remembered me, and I had her all three years. She is now seven. I am truly amazed.

Each of my students has influenced me and taught me in some way. I know this is one of my callings in life (along with being a wife and mother). I am grateful I was able to teach them, and for them to teach me. What a blessing.

Now I'd like to shift over to a more general topic (thanks for bearing with me while I got a little sentimental) I'd like to discuss this week the Montessori child. (I promise I will get to each area of the classroom and its signifigance) but I just feel I need to write about children, as I had this experience and I thought about my amazing, amazing students.

A child at about the age 2 1/2 is trying to determine how to function in the real world. He is striving for independence so he can function on his own in the world (isn't that the goal of parenting, to teach children to function without us? It is also refreshing to learn you don't have to put thier shoes, coat, hat, ect.anymore)The job as the Montessori teacher is to prepare the environment so the child can easily explore and learn. Yo may see a child working on a lacing frame, preparing him for shoe tying- a button frame to practice buttoning shirts. Practical skills he needs to learn at this age.

Another unique quality about the Montessori child is that he works at his own pace. Many schools (sadly) underestimate how much a child can do. We as Montessori teachers give the child the tools he needs to suceed at his own pace. Usually, this is above and beyond traditional teaching methods. Many Montessori children surpass the 'marks' made by traditional schools. Because teaching is concrete, the child learns with manipulatives he can actually touch- a child may hold a single bead and know that it is 'one' (item) eventually he works into the abstract, where he can write the number 1 and know what the quantity is associated with the symbol. Children can point to a map of the United States and point and say "this is Nevada, this is California" as opposed to just reciting states. Names have concrete meaning in the Montessori world, and a child learns best when he can use all five senses to absorb knowlege. (Kids are naturally curious for a reason!)

Children work at thier own pace, and while I said they hit the mark (usually above) according to traditional guidlines, they also learn how to socialize and communicate what they are feeling. Children learn to identify thier feelings, are given the vocabulary to communicate. Children learn to use thier words to resolve conflicts, rather than use physical means.

Montessori children enter the world as competent, well socialized, life long learners. They adjust very well to any situation they are in. I have had people comment to me (on field trips ect.) how well behaved my students are, how polite they are, how well versed they are. It's simple. Give children the tools and they will succeed to the best of thier ability. Simple. Just like Montessori.

I love teaching. I love Montessori. I am so eager to provide an environment for children to experience the same wonderful world of learning my previosu students experienced.
* Disclaimer: I have had appx. forty students each year- but a lot of them were full days and I had for multiple years- there were over 100 students- I love and miss them all!

No comments: