Friday, March 13, 2009

Dust Bunny Hunt...

I've posted about my feelings on spring cleaning before... I'd rather do all my organizing/cleaning inside in the winter when I don't want to be outside and enjoy this glorious weather we are having now by spending it outdoors (before it gets too hot)

Country Living magazine has a list of twenty things to do on your spring cleaning list- six of those things actually apply to me... which brings me to my next point...
what do you do to prepare for spring cleaning? As I am looking around my house which could use some straghtening up and the laundry folded (it's always about the laundry) I realize I simply don't care to spring clean this year- I have zero motivation- in my defense let me explain why...
I'm lucky I had a mother who taught me how to deep clean... I mean really deep clean. A house wasn't clean unless you mopped the floor on your hands and knees (haven't done that one in years-whoops!) and self-clean your oven and take apart your fridge every six months- I cleaned the baseboards in our house once a month- yep yep. I washed pillows and comforters every three months at least- this is all along with the weekly vacuuming, dusting, mopping floors, cleaning bathrooms, and taking care of the yard work- she taught me to wash curtains and blinds every six months as well- including windowsills. My Saturdays were very busy...

So spring cleaning at my house sort of happened all year round- which is why that now, when I'm an adult, it's nice to sort of 'slack' a bit. I'm a grown up after all- this is MY house- it's ok if I only get to the baseboards every three months-it's ok if I only deep clean my oven once a year (gasp!) it's not like I use it that much anyway-

so my list for spring cleaning is small- very small-I've pared it down over the years but can't imagine doing nothing- not yet-so what is on your list? what are you dreading doing? does anyone ENJOY spring cleaning? or are you skipping it altogether? Of all the cleaning my least favorite job is still putting laundry away...go figure...

1 comment:

The Smith Family said...

I hear you on the laundry. It's never complete and I hate putting it away too. I don't know how much "spring cleaning" I'm going to do this year, but I probably should clean my oven since I haven't EVER done it in the two years we have lived here...oops :)