Friday, June 12, 2009

Costco v. Sam's Club

Now that we don't live within walking distance of Costco, we are back to sqaure one swapping between BOTH Sam's Club and Costco- and we are torn. So here are pros and cons of both:
Costco:
PROS:
we have a membership
they have the mix and match muffins
they have my Hawaiian Chicken Bowls
Enfamil Lipil Formula is currently on sale for 24.99 for 38ounces- sweet!
they have better hot dogs

CONS:
they are now far away
the lines SUCK!

Sam's Club:
PROS
Enfamil formula is always 27.99 for 38 ounces (Costco is normally 30.98)
the have Hailyn's Gerber baby food 2nd in bulk in fruit and vegetable packs-awesome
they have TGI Friday's Cheddar and Bacon Potato Skin Chips
the lines were not long
I can usually 'check in' on my brother who works there-awesome!

CONS:
we DON'T have a memebership (we 'borrow' my mother in laws- yes I'm that 'frugal' we used to have memberships to both!:)
they don't have my cheesesticks (Costco does)
they don't have my chocolate chip chocolate muffins

So as you can see there are pros and cons to both- overall- I was VERY happy to go to Sam's today as oppossed to Costco- and I think our Costco trips may be fewer and longer in between (if anyone ever wants to go to Costco call me up and let me know!) It is now a 'trip' to go-sigh.

I know this post just THRILLS you- but I needed something 'light' to blog about while I search for my camera cord and escape (momentarily) the aspects of opening up a school in the fall.

4 comments:

craftyashley said...

I haven't been to Costco in sooo long! I have just forgotten what they sell there completely. As far as I'm concerned Stephanie & Sunset is the other side of the planet.
If you need a Sam's Club buddy- I go quite often!

craftyashley said...

...Even though I have a personal vendetta against Wal-Mart, I let Sam's slide- because I need stuff... in bulk.

Janssen said...

Bart loves Costco with all his soul (obviously his family are total Costco fiends) but I don't really care much. They seem so similar to me.

Eric and Erin said...

Eric and I asked the same question about where to buy in bulk, and this is what we came up with*. Sam's is cheaper and has a better selection of food (minus the muffins) than Costco. However, for home decor and other random "non-foods" Costco had a larger quantity of useful and cool stuff at better prices. So it all really depends on what you're out to buy.

*Means that we put this to a test and went to both stores, wrote down prices, ranges of stuff and so forth all in one day and compared in order to figure out what we would do. In the end we just split the cost of memberships to Costco and Sam's with my parents (my mom and I were spouses for each card) so we spent the same amount of money in the end. I hope this was helpful.....