Thursday, August 25, 2011

My soapbox...on gender...

Ok, so call me a feminist. Call me a hormonal pregnant lady. Whatever. I never really talk about anything controversial on here (politics, religion ect) but one area that rally irks me sometimes is on gender.

Since I've been pregnant people ask "do you want a boy or a girl next?" and I genuinely answer "Whatever God thinks, we'll be thrilled!" I TRULY feel that way. I know Hailyn was 'custom made' in a way for our little family. She just fits. I can't explain it. Other parents I'm sure understand what I'm talking about. This spunky, funny, sassy, smart, witty little girl just FITS! She is just a mix of Ryan and I that is pure awesomeness.

So when people tell me 'I hope you have a boy for the 'drama' sake, so you don't have so much drama in your house. Or what REALLY gets me is when they say 'boys are just better' WHAT?! You are saying this to a FEMALE- not just that but a STRONG female! So yes, maybe I am a feminist, if being a feminist means I believe men and women are both equally important and have divine and different COMPLIMENTARY roles in this life. And a STEP further, how about each little spirit is unique and divine in their own roles? Male or female? My little Hailyn LOVES to play with dolls, nurture her babies, make food, and then she loves to play in the dirt, with dump trucks, and can run faster than any boy I've ever seen. I've seen boys afraid of getting dirty. My niece is one of the best fisherman I know! She is quite adept in the outdoors! So I am told this 'drama' quote and then the fact that 'boys are better' (whatever that means!) and I get LIVID! RIGHT after these comments, I notice my nephew throwing his arms in a fit and pouting worse than ANY girl I have ever seen. Remember I am a preschool teacher and have had hundreds of students over the years. boys can be JUST as much drama as girls. And the whole 'boys carrying on the family name?' GARBAGE! Having a boy does not guarantee that that boy will produce offspring. I'm JUST saying people get EDUCATED!

Now this does not mean I hate boys or anything like that. I will be THRILLED if God blesses us with a baby boy- OR another baby girl! I simply TRUST GOD to find the little spirit that is going to just FIT with us- simple! I just don't think girls should be put down ANYMORE! think Ryan would love a boy if nothing else to help with 'gross yard work' and trash ect. But I grew up doing those chores and it made me a more adept and stronger woman. So if Hailyn grows up mowing the lawn, I'm ok with that.

This whole attitude that girls are drama and princesses and boys are 'easy', LIES! All children are uniquely divine and have special and important roles. Maybe this means I'll have an army of girls, to help raise STRONG women that can stand on their own and not have to have someone take care of them their whole lives. Is it 1770? SERIOUSLY people, even then WOMEN WERE STRONG! Sheesh! I can work and balance a checkbook and cook dinner and do it with a baby in tow, so yeah. I don't want my daughter EVER to feel 'not as important' because she's not a boy- she is a girl and a WONDERFUL AND AMAZING girl! I want her to be proud of it!

Next baby, BOY OR GIRL- we'll be thrilled for you!

3 comments:

Allison said...

Go girls! Haha. The only reason I think about wanting a girl over a boy next is because I already have all the stuff for a girl ;) But a boy means SHOPPING :)

lacie tidwell said...

AGREED Allison!! TOTALLY agree!!!:)

Janssen said...

Ugh, I hate that kind of garbage too. Also, I know that with our next child, people will be asking if we're hoping for a boy, but I absolutely don't care which we have (although, after having a girl, it's weird to even think about having a boy instead).